The various Testing Role and Responsibilities of a Tester or Senior Software Tester
Requirement Analysis - in case of doubt check with global counter parts or clinical specialist.
Test design - Always clarify, never assume and write.
Review of Other Test design documents.
Approving Test Design documents.
Test Environment setup.
Test results gathering.
Evaluation of any tools if required. - ex. QTP, Valgrind memory profiling tool.
Mentoring of new joinees. Helping them ramp up.
Testers need to identify two types of defects:
Variance from Specifications – A defect from the perspective of the builder of the product.
Variance from what is Desired – A defect from a user (or customer) perspective.
Anything that inhibits the tester’s ability to fulfill their responsibilities is a constraint.
Limited schedule and budget
Lacking or poorly written requirements
Changes in technology
Limited tester skills
The various Roles and Responsibilities of a Software Test Lead
The Role of Test Lead is to effectively lead the testing team. To fulfill this role the Lead must understand the discipline of testing and how to effectively implement a testing process while fulfilling the traditional leadership roles. What does This mean that the Lead must manage and implement or maintain an effective testing process. This involves creating a test infrastructure that supports robust communication and a cost effective testing framework.
The Test Lead is responsible for:
* Defining and implementing the role testing plays within the organizational structure.
* Defining the scope of testing within the context of each release / delivery.
* Deploying and managing the appropriate testing framework to meet the testing mandate.
* Implementing and evolving appropriate measurements and metrics.
o To be applied against the Product under test.
o To be applied against the Testing Team.
* Planning, deploying, and managing the testing effort for any given engagement / release.
* Managing and growing Testing assets required for meeting the testing mandate:
o Team Members
o Testing Tools
o Testing Process
* Retaining skilled testing personnel.
The various Roles and Responsibilities of a Software Test Manager
* Manage and deliver testing projects with multi-disciplinary teams while respecting deadlines.
* Optimize and increase testing team productivity by devising innovation solutions or improving existing processes.
* Experience identifying, recruiting and retaining strong technical members.
* Bring a client-based approach to all aspects of software testing and client interactions when required.
* Develop and manage organizational structure to provide efficient and productive operations.
* Provide issue resolution to all direct reportees/subordinates, escalating issues when necessary with appropriate substantiation and suggestions for resolution.
* Provide required expertise to all prioritization, methodology, and development initiative.
* Assist direct reports in setting organization goals and objectives and provide annual reviews with reporting of results to HR and the executive team.
* Work with Product Management and other teams to meet organization initiatives.
* Promote customer orientation through organizing and motivating development personnel.
The Test Manager must understand how testing fits into the organizational structure, in other words, clearly define its role within the organization.
Challenges in People Relationships testing
The top ten people challenges have been identified as:
Training in testing
Relationship building with developers
Getting managers to understand testing
Communicating with users about testing
Making the necessary time for testing
Testing “over the wall” software
Trying to hit a moving target
Fighting a lose-lose situation
Having to say “no”
*According to the book “Surviving the Top Ten Challenges of Software Testing, A People-Oriented Approach” by William Perry and Randall Rice